Some insight into my blog-writing process: every day, I read the Huffington Post, New York Times, and various other internet news sources looking for interesting things to write about. Once I find something, I bookmark it in a folder called “blog ideas,” to look into later or do more research about – or totally ignore. Of the things that I find, maybe 20% of them actually do get written about here; for others, I lose interest, the moment’s urgency passes, I just don’t have enough to say on the topic to justify a full entry, or I just never get around to the actual writing part. (I do have a life, and it sometimes gets in the way.) Sometimes I just don’t know what to say.
Now that my list has grown way too bloody long, I’ve decided to share some of the things I didn’t write about before. However, since there are so many, I’ll have to limit my comments on each item to just one or two lines and let you read the links.
Basically, this is my bookmark clearing-house. Ready, set. . .go!
2. Smarter than the average bear? Maybe. Smarter than a top-of-the-line bear-proof canister? Definitely!
4. You know the real estate market is rough when people get violent over Monopoly properties. . .
5. It’s not just Alaska’s problem: rape victims in many places often have to foot the bill for examinations and rape kits.
8. Conservative think-tank (they can think?) Heritage Foundation calls a bill pushing for harsher child-rape penalties “overcriminalization.” People, I beg you, do not trust Republicans around your children.
10. The Chinese have better political sensibilities than we do; they trust sex workers more than politicians.
11. Proof that God has a sense of humour: A British actor in a swine flu prevention commercial came down with – wait for it – swine flu.
12. What you’ve always suspected is true: your brain really is working against you. As is the CIA.
13. If you only click one of these links, for the love of all that’s good and holy, make it this one about how and why conservative are always wrong. . .with historical evidence to back it up. Brilliant!
14. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder – and the Photoshop of the photo editor.
15. I don’t know how to fix the obesity problem in this country, but I’m pretty sure that this is the wrong tactic.
17. Why is John McCain the only Republican willing to stand up to conservative nutjobs? There’s gotta be more somewhere. . .
18. When a machete- and gun-wielding convicted killer gets better health care than his surviving victim, something is well and truly fucked up in this country.
19. Who’s really out to kill Grandma? It ain’t who you’d think.
20. “In recognition of your service to this country, we’re going to take away your child custody rights. Thank you!”
21. Welcome to Tennessee, where you can carry guns in bars, parks, and – wait a second, maybe not so much the parks.
22. “‘Round these here parts, you start wavin’ a picture of Obama with a Hitler ‘stache, you can ‘spect a asswhuppin from an old Armenian man, and that’s how it should be.”
23. If you’re in a POW camp, Monopoly is a great, fun way to pass the time – or, you know, help you break out.
24. So, that high-tech phone you’ve got? Chances are, if it gets stolen, its makers would rather force you to buy a new one than help you get it back. The bastards.
25. Last but certainly not least, some sexual assault prevention tips that are guaranteed to work!
VS – 09.22.09